By Jenny Miller
No matter where you live, you can be certain that there are people in your community who are hurting and struggling more than others. If you want to make a real difference in your community, stepping in to help those in need is the best way to do it. Here are four ways that you can help make your community and the world a better place to live:
1. Connecting People with Community
Sometimes, all someone needs is to feel part of the community or have access to helpful resources.
● Helping people find a local support group can go a long way in helping them navigate hardships.
● If you meet someone who needs access to mental health counseling/services, consider finding them a therapist (and maybe even paying for a consult).
● Helping seniors in your community get involved with classes, clubs, and other activities can do wonders for their social life and well-being.
2. Contributing Locally
Volunteering your time, energy, and money locally is a great way to help others.
● Virtually every community has people suffering from hunger, so look for opportunities to help feed the hungry.
● Visiting nursing homes is an effective way to enrich the lives of seniors in your community.
● Every community has people suffering from homelessness, and you can be a part of the solution by learning more about homelessness in your area and volunteering locally.
● Animals, too, suffer hardships like hunger and homelessness, so learn the many ways you can benefit lost or stray pets in your area.
3. Creating Your Own Non-profit Organization
If you have ever wanted to start a non-profit, it might be easier than you think. Check out these resources and find out how you can get going!
● Breaking into the non-profit game is easier than you might think.
● Learn the cost of starting a non-profit in Maryland.
● Here is a guide on starting a non-profit from the National Council of Non-profits.
● It’s a good idea to register as a Maryland LLC to give your non-profit a more flexible structure.
● Managing a non-profit organization requires both knowledge and commitment.
4. Contributing Worldwide
There are also plenty of ways to play a part in bettering the lives of people around the world by donating to global causes.
● The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association provides spiritual and emotional care to people and communities amid tragedy and natural disasters.
● AmeriCares, a global health and emergency response organization, provides humanitarian aid and educates health workers around the world.
● Samaritan’s Purse provides a wide array of practical aid to individuals and communities who suffer from poverty, disease and famine, and the aftereffects of natural disasters, among many other things.
There are plenty of ways that we can help improve the living situations of people in our communities. So instead of wondering how you can make a real difference in the world around you, get out there and be part of the solution!
To better connect with your community, bookmark the Arundel Journal