Annapolis, Anne Arundel authorities quiet on any specific preparations to deal with armed protest

The Anne Arundel County Police Department declined to comment on potential operational efforts it may be undertaking with fellow agencies to mitigate the threat of armed protesters that might descend on the capitol in Annapolis this weekend, citing policy. But it did offer an idea as to how the public might help. “See something, say something,” department spokesmen Marc Limansky. “It would be extremely helpful if people receiving information on any specific violence or threats on that day call. We will absolutely take information and collect and analyze that.” The Associated Press (AP) spoke with law enforcement members, that said the FBI had sent out a bulletin warning of the possible protests at capitols around the country starting this Saturday. The AP quoted an FBI official as saying: “Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the U.S. Capitol from 17 January through 20 January,” the bulletin said, according to officials who were not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity. Limansky said Anne Arundel County’s police department had standards and practices in place to handle civil unrest. The department had no comment on how the responding agencies dealt with the storming of the U.S, Capitol in Washington D.C., last Wednesday, January 6. One of the departments officers has been suspended with pay while being investigated by the department, in cooperation with federal authorities, for involvement at the U.S. Capitol that day. “If we become aware of other issues of a similar nature, we will most likely issue another statement,” Limansky said. Annapolis mayor Gavin Buckley stated in a press release, that he has asked the City’s Office of Emergency Management, Annapolis Police Department and Annapolis Fire Department to coordinate with local and regional law enforcement agencies to ensure public safety in the aftermath of the protests and siege on the United States Capitol last week. “I have asked City agencies to continue this coordination with regional law enforcement to ensure that protections are available if the intelligence or actions require,” said Mayor Buckley in the statement released Monday. “We are a proud capital city for Marylanders," he stated "I know that the county and state are equally engaged to prioritize safety.” His office advised residents keep up to date on announcements from the city via: Downloading the “Prepare Me Annapolis” mobile app to receive important push notifications on your smartphone. The app is available for both Apple and Android devices. Signing up for Alert Annapolis, the new Annapolis community notification system which receives voicemails, text messages, and/or e-mails in case of emergencies and other events. Find out more at http://alertannapolis.civicready.com/ ·Connecting with the City on social media at: https://www.facebook.com/CityOfAnnapolis and https://twitter.com/cityofannapolis The city of Annapolis has not asked residents to stay off streets or discouraged them from visiting the capitol at this point. “We have not issued anything like that,” Mayor’s office spokesperson Mitchelle Stephenson said. “If we do I’ll post something about that. We’ll let folks know if there’s additional information.”

Annapolis, Anne Arundel authorities quiet on any specific preparations to deal with armed protest